Investing in companies that are worth more than the market believes
Please read the Investment Risks and Footnotes at the bottom of the page.
- A contrarian approach to identifying undervalued Asian franchises
- A total return mindset with an aim to increase dividends over time
- A disciplined approach to gearing that aims to enhance returns
Asia is home to some of the world’s largest, most competitive and exciting companies. The Trust’s unconstrained approach allows the portfolio manager the flexibility to pick the best ideas from across this vast geographic region and react to changing market conditions.
By combining fundamental analysis and a focus on valuation, these experienced investors have been successful at identifying undervalued Asian franchises. The team’s ability to form different views from the market and patiently allow their investment theses to play out has been key to meeting the Trust’s objectives over the long term.
Opportunities from the Covid-19 crisis
The Covid-19 pandemic has led to a significant contraction in economic activity and a fall in equity valuations. Ian Hargreaves highlights these lower equity valuation levels as a source of opportunities as many reflect limited expectations of a recovery.Read article
With growing client demand around Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) considerations, John Pellegry looks at the benefits of ESG integration in the investment process and the stages of the process at which ESG features.
Trusting in Asia opportunities
With protests in Hong Kong and the continuing trade negotiations between the US and China, Asia continues to grab the headlines. But looking beyond this negative news, Asia still remains the most important driver of global growth.Read article
On a recent trip to China, Fiona Yang visited Jiangsu Yanghe, the third largest Baijiu (Chinese spirit) producer in China. She finished her tour deeply impressed by the company’s successful integration of tradition and modernity.
Standardised rolling 12-month performance (% growth)
|Ordinary Share Price||-4.4||40.9||8.1||5.0||-15.4|
|Net Asset Value||-3.9||41.2||8.2||3.9||-16.8|
|MSCI AC Asia ex Japan Index*||-9.9||35.4||12.5||2.3||-8.8|
Past performance is not a guide to future returns. Ordinary share price performance figures have been calculated using daily closing prices with dividends reinvested. NAV performance figures have been calculated using daily NAV with dividends reinvested. The NAV used includes current period revenue and values debt at fair. The MSCI AC Asia ex Japan Index performance shown is total return. All performance figures are in sterling as at 31 March 2020 unless otherwise stated. Standardised past performance figures are updated on a quarterly basis. Source: Morningstar.
*The benchmark index for this Investment Trust changed on 1 May 2015 from the MSCI AC Asia Pacific ex Japan to the MSCI AC Asia ex Japan (both indices total return in sterling terms). The benchmark performance in the table shows the returns of the former index for periods prior to 1 May 2015.
Company announcements (View on Morningstar)
Tender Offer Circular and Notice
The Company’s objective is to provide long-term capital growth by investing in a diversified portfolio of Asian and Australasian companies. The Company aims to achieve growth in its net asset value (NAV) in excess of the Benchmark Index, the MSCI AC Asia ex Japan Index (total return, in sterling terms).
Further details of the Company's Investment Policy and Risk and Investment Limits can be found in the Report of the Directors contained within the Company's Annual Financial Report.
- Neil Rogan (Chairman)
- Tom Maier
- Owen Jonathan
- Fleur Meijs
- Vanessa Donegan
- Nira Mistry (Company secretarial contact)
Should you wish to contact a member of the Board of Directors, please email the Company Secretary.
When you interact with us, we may collect information about you which constitutes personal data under applicable laws and regulations. Our Trust privacy notice explains how we use and protect your personal data.
- Total Assets: The value of all assets held, less current liabilities, including income for the current year.
- Dividend Yield: The total declared and prospective dividends for the current financial year, expressed as a percentage of the trust’s value calculated at the last close price. The yield is indicative only and is not guaranteed.
- Estimated NAV: The net asset value is the value of the company’s assets, less any liabilities.
- Discount: The amount, expressed as a percentage by which the share price is less than the net asset value per share. Premium: The amount, expressed as a percentage, by which the share price is more than the net asset value per share
- Figures are subject to rounding.
The value of investments and any income will fluctuate (this may partly be the result of exchange rate fluctuations) and investors may not get back the full amount invested.
The product invests in emerging and developing markets, where difficulties in relation to market liquidity, dealing, settlement and custody problems could arise.
The product uses derivatives for efficient portfolio management which may result in increased volatility in the NAV.
The use of borrowings may increase the volatility of the NAV and may reduce returns when asset values fall.
As a result of COVID-19, markets have seen a noticeable increase in volatility as well as, in some cases, lower liquidity levels; this may continue and may increase these risks in the future. In addition, some companies are suspending, lowering or postponing their dividend payments, which may affect the income received by the product during this period and in the future.
- Where individuals or the business have expressed opinions, they are based on current market conditions, they may differ from those of other investment professionals and are subject to change without notice. This marketing material is not intended as a recommendation to invest in any particular asset class, security or strategy. Regulatory requirements that require impartiality of investment/investment strategy recommendations are therefore not applicable nor are any prohibitions to trade before publication. The information provided is for illustrative purposes only, it should not be relied upon as recommendations to buy or sell securities.
- For more information on our products, please refer to the relevant Key Information Document (KID), Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive document (AIFMD), and the latest Annual or Half-Yearly Financial Reports. This information is available in the literature section.